San Diego Youth Science
Our PTA sponsors onsite experiential science education for grades K through 5th. We partner with San Diego Youth Science, who works with students to understand the process of science, view the world with scientific curiosity, and have a lifelong love of science through participation in authentic and relevant science experiences. Grade level appropriate science classes are customized for Barnard and developed using Next Generation Science Standards.
SDYS custom curricula span all fields of science, with student experimentation and process learning at the foundation of all programming developed. The open ended nature of NGSS allows topics to be explored from diverse angles. A few examples of different NGSS topics have been developed by SDYS and made into exciting and relevant hands-on learning for Barnard students:
- hands-on experiences with live animals from the Kelp Forest habitat
- designing and building circuits to create burglar alarms
- experimenting with variables in chemical reactions to launch rockets
- exploring the physics of sound production in mammals
- field trips to Rose Creek to examine and collect water samples for toxicology experiments with Daphnia shrimp