Barnard PTA Committees
Do you want to help make Barnard the best school it can be? Do you want to get involved with the PTA, but don’t know how? Do you want to take ownership of a school-wide project that will impact hundreds of students at Barnard? Here’s your chance!
Volunteer as a PTA Committee or Event Chair today! Each of the below committees needs an enthusiastic Barnard parent to oversee or help with its implementation in the coming school year. There is something for everyone — working parents and non-working parents alike. Whether your passion is art, science, health, safety, publicity, planning, Web work, facilitating, or something in between, there is a meaningful spot for you. If you’re not ready to commit as a chairperson, you can also volunteer to help. See the opportunities below and contact email@example.com for more info.
The Barnard PTA is the fundraising wing for our school. We have three major fundraisers every year from which we aim to raise the necessary funds to pay for our many school amenities.
- Auction: The auction chairperson is responsible for planning our school’s annual spring auction — one of our three main fundraisers of the year. Responsibilities include marketing and promotion, soliciting and organizing donations, coordinating online bidding, planning and managing the live auction and gala event, collecting payment, and distributing auction winnings.
- Barnard Annual Giving (BAG): The BAG chairperson is responsible for the school’s annual giving program, which typically takes place at the start of every school year. Activities include soliciting and recording donations, motivating Barnard parents to contribute, choosing and distributing donation incentives, and the creating and distributing related correspondence.
- Jog-a-thon: The jog-a-thon chairperson manages all aspects of our school’s primary student-led fundraiser, including planning the jog-a-thon event with Coach MJ and the school administration, motivating students to fundraise among their own networks, obtaining and distributing fundraising and running incentives, and coordinating parent volunteers for the in-person event.
Committees and Events
- After-school Programs: Recruits and manages program providers; coordinates scheduling with school administration; disseminates program information to Barnard community.
- Book Fair: Manage the Scholastic book fair — a week-long event that requires publicity, set up, clean up, and volunteer coordination.
- Booth Coordinator for Chinese New Year and Moon Festival events: The House of China and other community organizers present multi-day community events in Downtown San Diego and in Balboa Park in recognition of various holidays. The chairpersons for these events are responsible for booking, planning, setting up, cleaning up, and soliciting student and parent volunteers to represent our school at the Barnard PTA booths.
- Bulletin Boards: Continually updates campus bulletin boards with PTA information, holiday messages, student council notices, and student artwork displays.
- Chinese New Year Festival (at Barnard): Responsible for the school’s signature event, including scheduling performers and vendors, managing activity booths, obtaining prizes, coordinating volunteers, decorating, marketing and advertising, and soliciting sponsors.
- eBlasts: Writes, edits, and sends the PTA’s weekly eBlast newsletter, which is sent to 1500+ parents and community members throughout the school year.
- Kinder/Vegetable Garden: Manages all aspects of the school’s vegetable garden, including planting, maintenance, harvest, classroom involvement, and delivery to school cafeteria (if allowed).
- Marquee: Updates the outdoor marquee on Fogg Street with current PTA information, often on a daily basis.
- Missoula Children’s Theater (MCT): Manages all aspects of the week-long activity in the spring for students in grades 1-5, including coordinating the show with our administration and MCT staff, arranging housing for MCT directors, publicizing try-outs, rehearsals, and performances, soliciting parent volunteers, managing after school rehearsals, and overseeing show setup and cleanup.
- Peace Garden: Manages all aspects of maintaining the school’s peace garden.
- Publicity: This chairperson writes articles about Barnard events and programs and distributes them among local press.
- Reflections Art Competition: Reflections is the largest and oldest arts education program of its kind. This program is run annually by the National PTA, always with a new, socially-conscious, student-selected theme each year. The competition begins at the school level with winners moving upward to the San Diego Unified Council of PTAs, Ninth District PTA, California PTA, and eventually the National PTA. Barnard’s Reflections coordinator will need to arrange the competition and judging at Barnard in the fall in accordance with the national guidelines.
- Sponsorships: Responsible for soliciting various levels of PTA sponsorships within our parent community and throughout San Diego.
- Teacher Appreciation: Coordinates the activities for Teacher Appreciation week in the spring, including planning the teacher luncheon, daily student sentiments, and publicity among our community.
- Teacher Conference Week Snacks: Coordinates donations among our parent community to contribute snacks for our staff and teachers during the fall and spring teacher conference weeks.
- Web Site Administrator: Continually updates the PTA web site throughout the year.
- Welcome Committee: Planning begins in the spring and summer prior to the new school year. This chairperson is responsible for creating, distributing, and collecting a welcome packet for new parents, assigning parent mentors, and assisting with new parent integration.
- Yearbook: Responsible for the creation of the yearbook, including taking pictures at Barnard events, soliciting pictures from our community, creating pages, and managing sales and distribution.
- Art Night
- Day at the Bay
- Dine-Outs/Shop Night(s)
- Dragon Boat race
- Family Dance
- International Night, Game Night, Movie Night, etc.
- Parents’ Night Out
- PB Holiday Parade and Crystal Pier Wreath
- Science Night
- Talent Show
- Writers Night
- Kindergarten/5th Grade Promotions